Networks are an essential part of business, education, government, and home communications. Many residential, business, and mobile IP networking trends are being driven largely by a combination of video, social networking, and advanced collaboration applications, termed visual networking. The Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) is our ongoing effort to forecast and analyze the growth and use of IP networks worldwide.
VNI Mobile Forecast
In February 2015, Cisco released the Cisco VNI Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast, 2014 - 2019. Global highlights from the updated study include the following projections:
- There will be 5.2 billion global mobile users, up from 4.3 billion in 2014
- There will be 11.5 billion mobile-ready devices and connections, more than 4 billion more than there were in 2014
- The average mobile connection speed will increase 2.4-fold, from 1.7 Mbps in 2014 to 4.0 Mbps by 2019
- Global mobile IP traffic will reach an annual run rate of 292 exabytes, up from 30 exabytes in 2014.
VNI Complete Forecast
In June 2014, Cisco released the complete VNI Global IP Traffic Forecast, 2013 – 2018. Global highlights from the updated study include the following projections:
- By 2018, there will be nearly four billion global Internet users (more than 51 percent of the world's population), up from 2.5 billion in 2013
- By 2018, there will be 21 billion networked devices and connections globally, up from 12 billion in 2013
- Globally, the average fixed broadband connection speed will increase 2.6-fold, from 16 Mbps in 2013 to 42 Mbps by 2018
- Globally, IP video will represent 79 percent of all traffic by 2018, up from 66 percent in 2013
Click Here for VNI Mobile Forecast Highlights, 2014 – 2019